These special people are out there in the world, born with an amazing gift to connect, and will always have a special place in my heart. The following are my personal list of singers who I can listen to any day of the week, anytime of the day, and they will always be appreciated. I have not a created specific order, but more of a general top 10 (except for the first 2 who are my favourite). I could not manage to officially leave out treasured artists, but I also could not write up on everyone, so everyone noteworthy in my books will get a mention.
1. Chris Cornell - Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, Solo
2. Brandon Boyd - Incubus
3. Rob Halford - Judas Priest, Halford, Fight, 2wo
4. Myles Kennedy - Alter Bridge, The Mayfield Four
5. Lane Staley - Alice in Chains, Mad Season
6. James Hetfield - Metallica
7. Zack De La Rocha - Rage Against The Machine, One Day As A Lion
8. Scott Weiland - Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Solo
9. Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden, Solo
10. Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin, Solo
There are the first 10 singers who came to my mind, but I cannot finish my write up without some other noteworthy mentions. The following pioneers offer as much, if not more, than the ones I have written on. However, I had to stop myself after the first 10, otherwise I could get a little carried away (not that I haven’t already). I know there are even more out there, but this is just a small piece of the pie.
· Ozzy Osbourne – Black Sabbath, Solo (Ozzy)Pioneer. Godfather of Heavy Metal. Prince of Darkness. Madman. Legend.
· Ronnie James Dio – Black Sabbath, Elf, Rainbow, Heaven and Hell, Solo (Dio)Hailed as the most powerful singer in heavy metal. Creator of the “devil horns”. Gentleman of Metal.
· Jim Morrison – The DoorsEnigma. Poet. Psychedelic. Voice like a “Booming Echo of Hollowness”.
· Freddy Mercury – QueenSupremely powerful vocals over a four-octave range. Flamboyant stage persona.
· Kurt Cobain – NirvanaTroubled. Most unique voice. Spokesperson of Generation X
· Serj Tankian – System of a DownSuperlative singer. Politically Driven Fighter for the Cause.